Monday, July 27, 2009

Three months later...



Wow!!  I think that may be the longest I've EVER taken to post!  There have been a lot of changes in my life lately to say the least... and It's time to catch up!

Okay... first things first.  I am now Carrie Elder!  I met Dan in December through my roommates I was living with at the time.  I had just gotten out of a relationship that made me a little blue, and the girls invited me out to hang out with friends of theirs!  That was the first night I met Dan, it was at Mattas Grill.  We went to his house (and 6 roommates) afterwards and played Guitar Hero and Dan was getting his hair cut by one of his roommates... into a mohawk!  After everything died down and a few people left, I was able to talk with Dan and get to know him a little.  I remember thinking he was super cute and really nice!!  He seemed genuinely interested in me, and he singled me out out of a dozen single ladies!  I thought he was cool because he had a game on his cell phone that I love... Zuma!... and he was funny playing Guitar Hero.  He got my number and we became friends on Facebook.  I saw him a couple of other times when I went out with my roommates... once we went ice skating, and he was following me around!  I think he was trying to make me laugh... and he biffed it pretty hard a couple of times!  Haha!  A few days later he asked me on a date!  We saw 'Yes Man' and went back to my house and played around on my computer taking funny pictures.  I really liked that I could be myself around Dan, and he made me laugh.

Our first date

Christmas came and went, and so did New Years.  I was going out a lot with my friend Nikki to singles activities and parties... and that's where I saw Dan again!  I was excited to see him because it had been a long time since I saw him last.  He invited me to the party him and his roommates were throwing for the Super Bowl.  I took Nikki with me, and it was SOOO crowded at their house.  We left the party, and I took Nikki home.  As soon as I dropped Nikki off, Dan texted me to ask if I was still at the party.  I ended up going back to hang out with Dan... that's the night I got to know Dan a little better.  I learned that his dad had died tragically like my mom did, and I felt an immediate bond to him!  He told me about his family, and his mission, etc.  We ended up watching a movie together, but I got no kiss (my nose was completely stuffed!  I was getting over a cold.  Otherwise, Dan said he would have kissed me!).  After that night, we saw each other everyday.  My roommates and his roommates took a trip to Show Low for the weekend... and that trip was when I started falling in love with Dan.  We played cards, drove to my moms grave in the snow, ate out, got ice cream... we were inseparable!  Everyone else was watching TV and dancing to hip hop music back at the cabin... and Dan and I were in our own little world!  
SO, I will sum up this already loooong winded story!  Over Easter weekend, Dan and I went to meet his sisters and mom in Utah (his little brother, Ben, is on a mission!).  We stayed with his sister Carissa and her husband Darin (and their 3 cute little kids!), and we had a blast playing Guitar Hero with his ohter sister Annie.  His mom and her boyfriend came over on Easter... and that's when we told all of them we wanted to get married!  We were planning on getting married at the end of May.

Carissa pitching to Dan... I fell in love with Dan's family immediately!  They are so fun loving and genuinely happy people.  And I loved seeing Dan as 'big brother'.
  
Annie... she's a firecracker!!
When I got home, I was trying to plan a little ceremony (my temple marriage hasn't been cancelled with my ex yet... so we can't get sealed yet!).  I was so stressed out because I was having to pay for everything out of my own pocket... and I'm poor!  Planning a wedding is not very fun (I learned that with the one I planned before)... and a big extravagant wedding wasn't at the top of my list.  When you've been married before, in a very unfulfilling unhappy marriage... and then years later meet someone who is perfect for you... little things like flowers, and invitations and cake don't matter as much!  I just wanted to start my life with Dan!!  Everything fell into place with Dan, taking me completely by surprise... I knew he was the one.  Awwww!  When we met with our singles ward bishop to tell him we wanted him to marry us, we wondered, "Why wait?!?"  Bishop said, "I can do it Saturday".  And that was that!  I got a dress the day before, shoes the day of... got my hair done at work by my friend Afton, did my own makeup... Dan's cousin Aaron and his wife Laura got us flowers, and a cake (thank you, thank you, thank you!!)... family and friends took pictures for us (Dan's mom and sisters drove up from Utah that day!) , and we got married in our Bishops beautiful home!!  
There you go... Mr. and Mrs. Elder!!


Dan's roommates.  From left:  Scott, Mike, Jared, Van, Adam, Jesse... and the pretty girl in the pink is Mel... the boys' friend from Utah who stayed in their house as well!  Right after we got married, all the boys except for Scott moved away to work in the summer!  Mel left to California as well.


TO BE CONTINUED!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah! You are still alive! We need to get together soon! Love ya!

Tiff said...

That's such a cute story, Carrie. Thanks for sharing. In case you didn't get my E-mail, I'm sorry things didn't work out to see you last week. I hadn't seen the fam in 6 months, we were only there for 2 days, etc, etc. If you don't hate my guts, I'll have more time to see you when I'm there in August or September.

Cute post, and keep us all updated!

P.S. I saw your wedding jacket at Anthropologie and LOOOOOVED it!

CHRISTINE said...

WELL...IT'S ABOUT TIME! Thanks for sharing your cute little story. I can't wait to see pictures of you two in your new home. Hope the air start to work!! Love you!