Friday, August 5, 2011

Surprise visit to Utah

Wow, I feel like it's been a long time since I've blogged!  My entire life is consumed by Drake (which I love), so the majority of my pictures are of him.  I hardly ever post on facebook because I don't want to be that person who posts about their kids all the time!  I feel like nothing I would say would be all that interesting... "Drake is rocking on his hands and knees now!  Only a matter of time before he crawls!"

So, I've decided I can post as much as I want about Drake on my blog since it's like my journal in many ways!  So be prepared!


Utah
Me, Dan, and Drake took a weekend trip to Utah to visit Dan's mom and family the weekend of the 24th.  The 24th, which is Pioneer Day, is a holiday in Utah, so we felt it would be perfect to visit.  Dan's mom hadn't seen Drake since he was just a week old, so we were really excited.  The trip was such a blast, and we really needed to get away.  Drake got the chance to meet Dan's mom and Trent, Colton and Raquel (Trent's kids), Carissa and her family, Annie and her family (Riot is just 10 days older than Drake), and also see uncle Ben again.  He also met Dan's grandparents.  I barely held Drake the entire time we were there... everyone wanted to hold him and play with him!  I felt like Drake got so much attention that his little personality bloomed on that trip.  He really loved everyone so much... makes me wonder if we should move to Utah in the future?

I love that we live in AZ around my family, however, they are all in the growing family stage, and that means Drake does not get attention showered upon him.  Dan is the oldest in his family (and the favorite ; ) I might add), so naturally, his first child will get loads of attention!  Plus, Dan's family is very gregarious, full of energy, and loving, so even Annie who has a new baby spent time holding Drake a lot of the time.  It was really nice to just sit back and watch Drake interact with everyone in the family.  I'm really hoping we'll be able to spend Christmas in Utah this year!

Here are a few pictures from the trip...


I grew up with this picture in our living room.  It is one of my favorites.  In the conference center, which we took a tour of, they had all original paintings.  I had no idea this one was so huge!


Drake and his cousin Riot (Annie's baby).  These boys spent most of the time together.  


Dan is holding Riot.  I just love the online editing website picnik.  I could spend hours playing around on that site!


Temple square


Drake slept on my chest both flights to and from Utah.  I heard taking off and landing hurt babies ears, so I nursed him on takeoff, and he fell asleep, slept the entire time, and didn't wake up until we were down stairs at the rental car area!  It took Drake a little more time to fall asleep on the flight home, but he eventually zonked out.


My sweet boy...



My stripling soldiers.  This is one of my favorite stories from the Book of Mormon.  


Sick boy
Drake had a fever for two days a couple of days ago.  I thought that maybe he was teething, but he is still toothless!  His little body must have been fighting off something.  Even though he had a fever, he was still a happy boy...

This is my makeshift playpen on our bed that I made with pillows.  I don't think it will last for long!


I kept Drake cool with a moist washcloth on his little forehead.  He was really still when I put it on.  It must have felt really nice.  It is scary when babies have fevers.  I would wake up to him next to me with burning hot hands and feet touching me.  





I'm glad he's all better now!!

I can't wait till we get sealed to Drake in the temple <3
The SLC temple is so beautiful!


Picnik
Here is some evidence that I spend way too much time on picnik...

Pregnant nice vampire


Pregnant evil vampire!


2 comments:

Tiff said...

It sounds like you guys had so much fun in Utah; that's great! I'm glad Drake was able to get a lot of attention. I'd be sad if you left (since we'll hopefully be back very soon) but you have to do what's best for your family!

I love all of your pictures. You are so funny about Facebook! I think it's fine if you post about Drake there. Some people are a little over-the-top sometimes, but you'd keep it tasteful! :)

CHRISTINE said...

Fun Utah trip!! I'm glad Drake got lots of attention! Love all the pictures of Drakey boy. He's a pretty little guy...it's okay to say that now! Love you, Carrie.